SONGBROKER WELCOMES KATIE THOMPSON
Songbroker is delighted to welcome singer/songwriter Katie Thompson to the fold.
Christchurch based artist, Katie Thompson has been carving a pathway within the country music scene in New Zealand, blending elements of folk, pop, rock and country into bittersweet and beautiful songs.
Katie’s debut album, Tall Poppy was released in 2009 to critical acclaim. The record caught the attention of the international funding website Sellaband, where fans can buy in to the career of their favourite artists, with the aim of helping them hit the US$50,000 needed to record and release an album. Katie was one of the fastest-ever artists to achieve the funding and the resulting album.
The Impossible album was recorded at Modern World Studios in the UK with award-winning producer Greg Haver (Manic Street Preachers, Junica (feat. Ladyhawke), Melanie C) engineer Clint Murphy and a team of British and Kiwi musicians on board.
Katie recently released her live EP Moving On, recorded at Quicksand Studios. A departure from the polished tracks that can be heard on previous albums, this is a truer representation of what she brings to her live shows.
Katie was selected by Global Rockstar last year to be part of a global music project. Flown to Vienna in August 2015, she collaborated with five international artists to write and record the single ‘To the Moon’ , and shoot an accompanying music video and documentary.
● Opening act for Sir Elton John’s NZ show in 2011
● Finalist for Female Artist of the Year, 2012 NZ Country Music Awards
● Raised over $150,000 in crowdfunding for artists
● Winner of theaudience.co.nz May 2014 Wildcard Chart
● First Australasian artist to win ArtistSignal - a global online music competition in 2014
● Represented New Zealand in Vienna as part of Global Rockstars music project 2015
● 2016 Winner of the MLT Songwriters Award New Zealand with her song “West Coast”